• Schedule for Thursday, June 15th: G, C (review period), F

• Schedule for Friday, June 16th: E, B (review period), D

• Don't forget, late start for finals this Thursday, Friday, and Monday, with school starting normally on Tuesday

• Last day of school is June 20th

The Spirit of Christmas

Courtesy of Peanuts Wikia

Courtesy of Peanuts Wikia

Courtesy of Peanuts Wikia

Kaitlyn Tobin, Contributor

The memorable hustle and bustle of the holidays are upon us again, and shoppers are frantically purchasing gifts for friends and family. Emotions run high, and stress has begun to take over. Despite the hope for Santa and the anxiety of finding the right gifts, it is important to remember the true meaning of the holidays.

For some people, just the thought of walking through malls searching for the perfect gift is enough to stress them out. Everyday stresses, such as work, caring for elderly parents, and paying the bills, are often largely increased during the holidays, casting a negative gloom over what is supposed to be a happy time.

Additionally, year after year, the classic “Christmas List” remains a tradition, and a necessity for all parents and friends. Children are practically forced to write down every toy they want for Christmas. I’ve seen it go so far as a child given a Target flyer to just circle items that interest them. This Christmas tradition of making a list of desired items is getting more and more out of hand, as children are given the opportunity to choose the gifts they receive.

Gifts seem to be getting more and more specific, as well. For example, a common Christmas toy this year is the “Nerf N-Strike Elite Terrascout Remote Control Drone Blaster”. If a child has a toy that specific on their list, then the surprise of Christmas morning has been lost. It should not be expected that parents will get their kids everything they want, while burning a hole in their pocket in the process.

Instead of worrying about getting the best and biggest gift for your family and friends, we should all give each other one small meaningful gift. There is no need to rush out and buy the next big thing, because once we begin to do that, there is an annual expectation that you will spend a lot of money.

Inspirational and thoughtful sticky notes found in the Senior hallway during this Christmas season

Christmas is about spending time with loved ones and being thankful for what you have. On this last day before Christmas break, many inspirational and festive sticky notes have been placed in the Senior hallway, reminding us to spread happiness and joy this season. This was a very thoughtful thing to do, and hopefully  students and staff will take these messages to heart.

Additionally, some fun Christmas activities include decorating a Christmas tree and listening to Christmas music. Of course we don’t have to avoid the tradition of gift-giving in order to have a happy holiday. We just need to remember the true meaning of Christmas and buy gifts sparingly. Instead of muttering “Oh no, it’s Christmas shopping season”, exclaim “Christmas time is finally here!” Visiting distant family members and catching up with old friends is a great way to spend the holidays. Watch a classic Christmas movie or just drive around town looking at the beautiful Christmas lights. Devote time to participate in festive and cheerful activities with friends and family.

Have a happy and healthy holidays!