Nashoba Fights Hard at State Championship Football Game

(Foxborough, MA 12/02/17) Nashoba's #15 Breese Hill makes an interception of a pass intended for Melrose's #7 Cameron Rosie in the 2nd quarter of their MIAA Division 4 State Championship game at Gillette Stadium. Saturday, December 2, 2017. Staff photo by John Wilcox.

John Wilcox

John Wilcox

Vicky Tuttle, Chief Sports Editor

This past Saturday, Nashoba Football headed to Gillette to play Melrose in the Division 4 State Championship title. This is Nashoba’s 4th appearance at Gillette in the past 6 years for a State Championship game.

The team accomplished the CMASS D4 title, became the Mid Watch B League champions and ended their season with a record of 9-1. The team was undefeated with a record of 6-0 going into week 7. The boys were also ranked 3rd of the Top 10 CMASS football teams, according to Carl Setterland of TGSports.

As the boys took the field ready to take on Melrose, fans piled into the stadium, decked out in green and gold. As the first quarter was winding down, Nashoba had the ball. QB, Sam Bolinsky, ran the ball to get the first down and unfortunately got tackled by a Melrose player, causing a heartbreaking moment. Sam attempted to recover, but was taken out of the game due to a hurt ankle. Senior captain, Breese Hill, stepped in and filled the QB spot. Losing the head quarterback is a devastating moment in any game, but as this was the championship, it was heartbreaking. As the game continued, Melrose scored a touchdown, leading 7-0. But the Chieftains didn’t give up, and pushed through every play.

Coach Tucker talked more about the game to reporter Chad Garner, regarding Breese stepping in to fill Sam’s spot: “Breese is a phenomenal kid; He probably hasn’t taken a snap at quarterback since his sophomore year on JV. Just to see him come in and take charge, I’m really proud of him and proud of all of our guys. It’s a tough spot, but really proud of the team for fighting and we really fought through to the end of the game”.

The game ended in a disappointing final score of 21-0. Sam Bolinsky tweeted a positive comment after the game stating: “Minor setback… major comeback”.

The team ended with a record of  10-2 and had an amazing season. Congratulations to all seniors on a great season and getting the chance to play at Gillette once again. Until next season.

Image:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/default/files/styles/gallery/public/blog_posts/120217melrose1.jpg?itok=BlCDUwO-