From Tel Aviv to Jerusalem

Eva Ricci, Chief Editor

On December 6th, President Trump announced that he will now recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the US-Israeli embassy from Tel Aviv to there. As one of his campaign-trail promises, this move comes with much support from his supporting base. But like some of the moves he has made so far, it has also been met with controversy.

Contrary to the belief of many, moving the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem was not an idea made up in the mind of Trump. In fact, his predecessors from Clinton to even Obama, have suggested this idea and stated that they would do it. But they didn’t do it, and Trump is taking the initiative.

So why the controversy then, if President’s before him wanted to take the same action? For one thing, it’s Trump and his critics will be quick to denounce almost anything he does. Secondly, although this move is something that many Israeli’s would like, the Middle East has been tumultuous for decades and predecessors worried that the risks of this action would outweigh the benefits.

Jerusalem was declared the capital of the State of Israel in 1948, after World War II. The Jewish people wanted their own country to reside in, but were met with conflicts from Palestinian-Arabs who also wanted to establish their own nation on the same land. Since then, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has continued and still has not been resolved. Due to this, countries have acknowledged that Jerusalem is the true capital, but embassies have remained in Tel Aviv, a major city, until the conflict is further resolved.

Trump’s goals are to officially acknowledge Jerusalem as the capital and move the US embassy there in order to solidify that fact. But many worry that this will ruin the emerging peace between Israeli’s and Palestinians as Palestinian-Arabs will view this as a win on the Israeli side.

It is stated: “Palestinian leaders are adamant that an embassy move to Jerusalem would be a violation of international law, and a huge setback to peace hopes” (CNN).

CNN also reports that: “In 1995, the US Congress passed a law requiring America to move the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem… Every President since 1995 — Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama — has declined to move the embassy, citing national security interests. Every six months, the President has used the presidential waiver to circumvent the embassy move… The Israeli government has lauded Trump’s pledge to follow through with the embassy move” (CNN).

So what’s the benefit? Israel and the US would strengthen their relationship as allies, but many worry that this move will provoke more unrest than unity.

Further announcements regarding the move will be made at a later date and it will be fascinating to see what the results of this action will be.

Sources:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/05/middleeast/trump-jerusalem-explainer-intl/index.html

Image: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/kushner-trump-undecided-israels-capital-51546749