Sexual Misconduct Protests at the Golden Globes

Courtesy of the Slate

Courtesy of the Slate

Izzy McKinney, Editor

A new age seems to be dawning on Hollywood, with celebrities breaking their silence on the sexual assault they have been suffering under for too long. With the Golden Globes on Sunday, January 7th, powerful speeches and activists took center stage. The red carpet was dominated by celebrities dressed in black in a show of solidarity with sexual harassment victims and Time’s Up pins on lapels. Let’s take a look at what exactly happened and what the movement means.

For anyone who tuned into the Golden Globes, the most noticeable change from last year was the amount of black worn by celebrities on the red carpet. The movement was organized by the Time’s Up, an organization that aims to abolish gender inequality and sexual harassment in the entertainment industry. This organization has also raised $15 million in defense funds for victims. Black was chosen to represent the wearer’s support for the victims of sexual assault.

According to the Associated Press, Alfred Molina said, “‘I can tell you it’s a very small gesture. Me wearing black isn’t going to change anything, but from small gestures come big ones. I think it’s important to let women know that you listen to them and believe them.'” Ashley Judd said, “‘Tonight, black is exhilarating. It is unifying. Empowering. It’s a collective statement… It is a gender revolution. And you know we all put a lot of time and energy into getting ready. And it was so great through every step of picking out my dress, and getting ready today, knowing that I was going to show up and be living amongst women. Not a singular individual coming for a unique pleasing. But because we’re here collectively.'”

During her presentation of the best director award with Ron Howard, Natalie Portman took the opportunity to point out something notable about the nominees: they were all male. After Howard announced the award was next, Portman added “‘And here are the all male nominees.'” The reactions to the statement were mixed on Twitter, with some praising her pointing out a problem and others arguing that her words distracted from the honor. When CNN asked the last woman who received the award for best director, Barbra Streisand, what she thought about Portman’s statement, she replied, “‘Time’s up. We need more women directors and more women to be nominated for best director.'” She received the award in 1984.

Another powerful moment in the night was when the of activists that were brought by celebrities as their guests for the night walked the red carpet. Emma Watson, a vocal supporter of the Time’s Up and #MeToo movements, said about Marai Larasi, the activist she brought, “‘Personally, the chance to bring Marai onto the carpet with me, she has so much wisdom. So much power. So much knowledge. I’ve learned so much from her about being an intersectional feminist. About black feminism. I’ve loved working with Imkaan, which is the organization that she is the executive director of.'” Michelle Williams, who brought Tarana Burke, the founder of the #MeToo movement, said, “‘I appreciate it, but I thought I would have to raise my daughter to protect myself in a dangerous world, but because of the work Tarana is doing, we can live in a different world.'”

But perhaps the most powerful moment of the night was Oprah’s speech. The acceptance speech for the Cecil B. DeMille award was the most talked-about event of the night, with Oprah recounting her childhood memories and her hopes for the future. Oprah concluded her speech with the following powerful words: “‘So I want all the girls watching here, now, to know that a new day is on the horizon! And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say ‘Me too’ again.'”