Nashoba DECA: States

Sarah Newton, Editor

One hundred and one members of Nashoba DECA headed to the state competition in Boston, MA this past Thursday.  Three-thousand high school students from across the state gathered at the Copley Marriott as they fought for a chance to win a place at the national competition in Atlanta, GA. The students went with advisors, Mr. A and Ms. Grigas, and chaperones, Mrs. Foley,  Mrs. Carter, Mrs. Offt, Mrs. Pratt, Mr. Bailey, Mr. McCarthy, and Mr. Cullinane.

Nashoba had many big wins, but one of the highlights and first awarded was the Gold Level Chapter of Excellence Award. They also had 40 members finish in the top 10 in their categories and Nashoba will send at least 16 attendees to the National Competition this April.

First place winners include the team of Christine Luke and Meaghan McCarthy in the category of Community Service Project, Jack Hurd in Retail Merchandising, who also received a $1,000 scholarship from Johnson & Whales, and Nathan Cunningham and Sophia Greszczuk in the category of Entrepreneurship Independent Business Plan.

Three teams took third place: Paul Theriault and Chase Meininger in the category of Entrepreneurship Promotion Plan, Andrew Harnett and Anders Fish for Financial Decision Making, and Ihsan Mulyono, Jake Schiering and Noah Travelent in the category of International Business Plan.

The group of Alex Rohrberg, Cooper Caviness, and Nick Streeter took fourth in the category of Entrepreneurship Independent Business Plan.

There were also other awards given out Friday night. Haley Neff took 2nd for best test score, and Jack Hurd took 3rd place, both receiving medals.

Congratulations to all of the top ten winners and everyone who went to states this past weekend. Best of luck to those heading to Nationals next month.