Valedictorian of the Class of 2018: Haley Neff

Victoria Tuttle, Sports Editor

As time is winding down for the 2018 senior class, students are looking forward to graduation and receiving recognition for their accomplishments. For one student in particular, all of that hard work and dedication put toward school work, homework, and long nights of studying has paid off. That individual is Haley Neff, a student who was recently named the valedictorian for the class of 2018.

Neff is from Stow, MA and has been the top scholar within her grade for the past 12 years. Neff is not only a strong and committed student, but she is also a volleyball captain, a tennis player, a crew chief for the Nashoba EMT squad, and a member of National Honor Society.

Neff took nine AP classes throughout her time at Nashoba, including AP Calculus BC during her junior year, a class students typically take during their senior year.  Neff also received various awards including those in Biology, Ceramics, Acting, English, Pre AP US History, and Justice and Law. She received a Yale Book Award, an Outstanding Delegate Award at a MUN conference at Dartmouth University. Other awards include; most outstanding contributor for Nashoba Girls Volleyball, a National Merit Scholarship finalist, and was nominated for P.E.O Star Scholarship.

The Chieftain Press asked Neff to reflect on what it took to get where she is today.  Neff humbly responded: “Not sure, I didn’t expect this going into high school – not at all. I think I absorb and interrelate information really quickly. I am constantly finding connections between old and new knowledge so it doesn’t take much effort to learn new information. I definitely prioritize school, but I never thought I was working that hard, I just enjoy learning”.

In response to whether becoming valedictorian was a goal for Neff, she stated: “I’d say no because I never had a goal to be better than anyone else; I don’t think it is healthy nor rewarding to compare myself to others. I just wanted to be doing the best I was capable of personally, and I will always be striving to reach that goal – haven’t gotten there yet!”

Moving forward, Neff plans to attend college. Right now she is grappling with a decision between Duke University and Tulane University (Honors).

Neff commented, “I am pretty sure I will go to Tulane because I absolutely love the culture of New Orleans and the type of students that go there! I am still open to Duke”.  Haley plans to attend medical school after college.

Regarding Nashoba, Haley claimed: “I really love Nashoba and I’m sad to leave. All of my teachers have been great and I think our student body is so incredibly kind and welcoming throughout. Nashoba has a warm and just inherently good school culture – I couldn’t have asked for a better extended family to be with all these years”.

If you see Haley Neff in the halls, be sure to wish her congratulations on being picked for such a prestigious award. The class of 2018 is very proud of her hard work and is thrilled to hear her speech at graduation. We give Haley a round of applause and wish her the best of luck in years ahead.