• CHIEFTAIN FOOTBALL PLAYS MARLBOROUGH THIS FRIDAY (9/28) AT HOME AT 7PM

Nintendo Breaks Into Mobile Gaming

Source- https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2015/03/nintendo-mario-100573749-large.jpg

Elena Naze, Contributor

Nintendo, the company that brought the world Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, and game systems like the Switch and Wii U, is planning to increase their presence on the mobile gaming scene.

The multibillion dollar corporation is making it’s way into the mobile side of the gaming industry with many new releases planned for this year and the years to follow. Shuntaro Furukawa is taking over as Nintendo’s President after the former president, Tatsumi Kimishima, announced he will be retiring on June 28th.

Furukawa plans to bring the company a bigger presence on the mobile scene and hopes to build it into a billion dollar business for Nintendo.

He predicts that the mobile side of the company could become a 100 billion yen company (billion dollar company in the US). Nintendo made a trillion yen in sales last year and many speculate that the mobile side of the company could make more than Furukawa is predicting.

Current Nintendo mobile games include Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, Super Mario Run, and the extremely popular, Pokemon Go. The company is set to release Mario Kart Tour in March of 2019. However strong their plans for the apps have appeared the company has stated that they are not reaching a “satisfactory profit point”. While Super Mario Run has about 20 million active players every month and other mobile games such as Fire Emblem Houses, (Nintendo’s highest profit mobile game to-date) show high net profit, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp has been slow to bring in the revenue the company has hoped.

Regardless of past mobile game success, the company’s new management is looking towards the future saying: “From what I can see, smartphone games are the ones I want to expand on the most”.

The new mobile games are set to launch in March of 2019. Dragalia Lost, a new RPG game made in collaboration with Cygames is set to launch in Japan this summer with North America and Europe launches following close behind.