On the road to Global Finals

From left to right: Shannon Henderson , Else Snoonian, Charlotte Snoonian, and Colleen Henderson standing in front of their props.

Kayla Everett, Contributor

Nashoba’s DI team is preparing to go to Global Finals next week after placing second in their State competition. Team members Shannon Henderson, Colleen Henderson, Else Snoonian, and Charlotte Snoonian have been working hard since the start of the year and are very excited to go.

Destination Imagination, also known as DI, is a organization in which students ranging from Kindergarten to college-age team up to solve difficult challenges. Some of the challenges include engineering, science, improv, and service learning. Part of the challenges involve constructing certain structures to solve a problem, then incorporating them into a skit. Other challenges include acting, prop-making, set designing, and being quite creative.

After placing first in the first round of competition, teams move on to the State competition. When competing in States, teams that place in the top three places move on to the Global Finals. At Global Finals, teams from over 15 different countries and 45 different states compete against each other. Altogether there’s about 1,400 teams with 8,000 students and over 17,000 attending the competition.   

Nashoba’s DI team is very excited and optimistic about scoring high. In 2016 they placed 8th in Globals and in 2017 they placed 26th. They have also won many awards for their costumes which include a Da Vinci award and two Renaissance awards for their creativity.

“We put a lot of effort into our performance,” said team member Shannon Henderson, “so it’s nice to be able to celebrate our hard work at Globals.”

The Nashoba DI team has been tirelessly working since October to finish their props, costume, and script. “DI has consumed a lot of our time,” said Colleen Henderson. “We keep redesigning our props and editing our skit until its the best it can be.”

Shannon Henderson, Colleen Henderson, Charlotte Snoonian, and Else Snoonian are all headed to Tennessee next week. So if you see them, wish them good luck.