African-Themed Choir Concert!

African-Themed Choir Concert!

Sammie Catalano, Contributor

Nashoba Choir’s African-Themed concert graced the stage this past Friday and brought tears to the audiences!

Opening up with Toto’s “Africa”, this song’s four-part harmony was arranged by Nashoba’s very own, Laura Goyette. The concert choir poured out contagious emotion as they learned the song in a little over a week! Next was “Amavolovolo”, a traditional Zulu Dowry song. This cultural tune began with Spencer Weijer sounding out beats on a drum. The overall feel of the song corresponded with the theme perfectly. Lastly, for the Concert Choir’s opener, came “Harriet Tubman” a bustling tune about the pioneer of the underground railroad. This bluesy-gospel style song energized the audience and honored the great American warrior that was Harriet Tubman. The song recognized her tireless efforts for justice and her amazing personality.

After Concert Choir came Nashoba’s Unified choir who brought tears to the audience as they sang “What a Wonderful World”. This song featured soloist Gwen Burke A major takeaway from this section of the concert is surely that this choir wonderful in their carrying out of emotion. Each song had great expression that transferred over to all who watched!

As the last group to perform before Intermission, the A Capella group, the Chieftones, lead by math teacher Miss Egan, performed. Soloist Rachel Fox rocked the stage with Charlie Puth’s “Attention”. Beat boxer Line Truelsen, wowed the audience with her unique talent! Lead singer of “Good Ol’ A Capella” , Ronnie Morson had great rhythm as well as a wonderful voice. The whole group impressed the audience with their unity, blend, and unique sound!

Opening up the second half of the concert was Broadway Women’s Choir. These lovely ladies sang Hairspray’s “New Girl in Town”. Hairspray is a show that portrays the social struggles and fight for equality pertaining to African-Americans in the sixties. The group also took on stunning tunes from “Shadowland” and even a “Dreamgirls” medley. The expression of the group’s songs truly presented great storytelling.

The co-ed group, Chamber Choir brought a great dynamic to the concert with “Ain’t That Good News”, “Swing Low”, and “Joshua”. Each song was carried out beautifully and with great emotion. Chamber Choir was quite moving.

Bringing in the concert in a full-circle, the Concert Choir took the stage again with songs of sorry, hope, and joy. In “Famine Song” the four part harmony swelled with dynamic and emotion. This song told the tale of a famine in Africa by introducing tension and release within the melody. The choir switched over to a song of great hope in “Going Up a Yonder”. The song describes the hope for the day when one is released from the heartache of life and the day when they can “be with [their] lord”! Ending the concert was “Music Down in My Soul”! This soulful tune spread joy in the from the singers to the audience and was a perfect way to end the joyful night.

The first concert of the year was truly among Nashoba’s best and left everyone joyful by the end. With the unique theme of Africa and the history that surrounds the night weaved together a cohesive story. The Chieftain Press would like to thank Mrs. Glenister and Miss Egan for their hard work and dedication that produced such a wonderful night. We would also like to acknowledge all of the singers who performed beautifully. Nashoba truly has a lot to offer in the music department! Catch the group in five weeks for their holiday concert

1 Comment

One Response to “African-Themed Choir Concert!”

1. Jack Michaud on November 14th, 2018 6:47 pm

Are there any posted recordings of the concert? I’m oddly interested in seeing the Nashoba Choir rendition of Africa by Toto.

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

Pete Davidson’s Worrying Instagram Post

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

From the Page to the Stage – To Kill a Mockingbird

• A&E

2018 Nashoba Regional Lip Dub

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

The Binge – Arrested Development

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

From Mr. Scrooge to Mr. Banks- What’s next for Nashoba Theatre

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

Musical of the Week – Once on this Island

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

The Binge – “The Office”

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

Stan Lee Dies at 95

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

The Lip Dub Returns to Nashoba

• African-Themed Choir Concert!

Music Review

Underrated- Alabama Shakes

African-Themed Choir Concert!