The Fall of the Seattle Seahawks

The Fall of the Seattle Seahawks

Pexels.com

Pexels.com

Pexels.com

Hayden McLaughlin, Contributor

February 1, 2015 is a day forever etched in the hearts of Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots fans.

During Super Bowl 49, the Seahawks were looking to beat the Patriots for their second Super Bowl title in two years. The Seahawks were down by 4 with less than 30 seconds to go, 1 yard away from a touchdown and the lead. Instead of running it with their dominant halfback, Marshawn Lynch, Pete Carroll decided to throw the football. The throw was picked off by Patriots cornerback, Malcolm Butler. Not only did this result in the fall of a possible Seahawks dynasty, but it began a new one for the Patriots. So, what happened to the Seahawks?

In the 2014 draft after the Superbowl, the first Seahawks pick was wide receiver, Paul Richardson. Richardson never totaled more than 703 yards in a season. The only pick from that draft class still on the active roster is enter/guard, Justin Britt.

In 2015, the Seahawks traded away starting center Max Unger to the New Orleans Saints and in return received aging veteran tight end, Jimmy Graham. In the end, this move hurt them as they could not pay Graham. They finished 10-6, but lost in the NFC divisional round. In that years draft, the only two players still on the active roster are wide receiver, Tyler Lockett, and defensive end, Frank Clark. At the end of this season, Marshawn Lynch would retire leaving a huge hole in the run game that still has not been filled.

During the 2016 season the Seahawks did not trade away any key player but did lose veteran starters, J.R Sweezy, Bruce Irvin, and Russell Okung in free agency. Brown and Sweezy have returned to the Seahawks. In a few years they would trade away 171st pick halfback, Alex Collins, who is now a star in the Baltimore Ravens offense. The few selections from this draft that are still on the team are second-string tight end Nick Vannett, defensive tackle Jarran Reed, halfback CJ Prosise and tackle Germain Ifedi who led the league in penalties twice.  

Then in the 2017 season, the Seahawks were relatively quiet. They drafted DT, Malik McDowell, who has yet to play an NFL snap in his career.  They also drafted guard Ethan Pocic and arguably their best selection yet in DB Shaquill Griffin who to the Seahawks credit will play a huge role in rebuilding their defense. They also selected RB Chris Carson who when healthy has been a starting halfback for the team.

Then in their current season safety, Kam Chancellor retired and Richard Sherman was traded away. Free agent Signee LB, Mychal Kendricks, is facing 25 years in prison for insider trading, and safety, Earl Thomas, was injured at the end of September and is out for the year.  They drafted RB, Rashaad Penny, and most notably one-armed, Shaquem Griffin, who is the twin brother of Shaquill Griffin.

The Seahawks now only have 5 players still on their team from that Superbowl run in 2014. They are Russell Wilson, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, and Doug Baldwin. Wright and Thomas are currently free agents at the end of the year and both are expected to leave Seattle. The Seahawks have a 4-5 record this season. This is how the Seahawks failed to rebuild their franchise and fell because of it