Would You Like a Receipt?

Emily Doran, Correspondent

The holidays are right around the corner, and for some people, so is work. Take some turkey to go and be sure not to stain the uniform, because guess who gets to work the night shift at Wal-Mart? Countless businesses have remained open for the holidays, with this year being no exception. Big chains such as Wal-Mart and Target will be up and running for anyone who wants to buy a last-minute frozen turkey.

JCPenney and Macy’s are coming in hot with even earlier openings for “Black Friday” sales this year, opening Thanksgiving day at 5 and 6 pm. This could be a good way for employees to save their cash, as they will be robbed of the opportunity to be thankful for what they already have, right? Maybe, but that doesn’t make up for the fact that these employees were told they had to work on this national holiday. Thanksgiving is a holiday that nearly everyone in the country celebrates, yet stores are still open. Christmas is only celebrated by a select religion and stores are closed for that, but that’s none of my business.

Money is everything, and with 45% of consumers saying they plan to shop sometime during Thanksgiving, remaining open only seems logical in the business-hungry world. Businesses who don’t think they already make enough of the dough will open on Thanksgiving,  alongside Macy’s and JCPenney, other stores include: Kohl’s, and Staples opening at 6 pm, Best Buy at 5 pm, and Big Lots at 7 am. Thanks guys. Big shoutout to you. Who even needs office supplies on Thanksgiving? Or electronics? I understand that they’re eager to get “Black Friday” done with and start counting the cash, but it’s called “Black Friday” for a reason.

Sears and Kmart are even going the extra mile this December and opening on Christmas. Power to you. Can’t sacrifice a couple dollars?

Costco, BJ’s, TJ Maxx, and Home Depot, all plan to take the day off and stay at home to stuff their faces with turkey and engage in the Thanksgiving games. Kudos to you, really; keeping the American spirit alive.

With all this controversy going on, the actual meaning of Thanksgiving is completely forgotten. So this holiday, even if your boss is a total jerk, just try to find the silver lining in it all and be thankful for what you have; maybe even bond with a couple co-workers.