• NO SCHOOL THIS FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26TH!

Journalists Are Basically Twitter

Emily Doran, Correspondent

Newspapers, radio, television, all journalist territory. But what’s happening to newspapers? They’re dying. With the development of technology, print newspapers are dwindling down. The journalism field is deteriorating piece by piece. What’s next? Radio? People look to social media nowadays for updates, or that handy-dandy weather app on their new iPhone 6. But what ever happened to the Sunday paper? Does this generation even know what that is? It’s the one with all the cool comics. But what about the breaking news or the stories that journalists risked their lives for to cover? Or, maybe lesser or equally dramatic, depending on the person, the results of the Pat’s game?

The fact of the matter is, newspapers are on their way out. At Nashoba, the goal is to change that. The Chieftain Press is a student-run newspaper and even though it’s a touch and go kind of deal, on the occasion it comes out, a disappointing amount of people read it. And it really is a shame because they’re depriving themselves of the cold-hard-facts on everything Nashoba. And who writes those articles? You guessed it; journalists.

Journalism is an amazing elective. It’s a place to share thoughts and ideas and what you say is not limited to 140 characters. Twitter may brush the surface, but with news, you get the inside-scoop on anything and everything. Appealing, huh?

Not only that, but Journalism expands vocabulary, improves grammar, and enhances creativity. Talk about college material.

Junior Meredith Nash, who has been taking journalism for two semesters now, explained how she realized journalism was the elective for her, “I knew I really really wanted to write so I wanted to see what kind of writing I liked, whether it was creative writing or journalism and newspapers.” she continues with, “I like how we have so much freedom to write whatever we want.”

Senior Brittany Cormier shared her thoughts on the class as well, “I like the close-knit community, the small class cultivates.”

Journalism may be a dying practice, but Nashoba is attempting to change that. So, get off your phone and discover what’s really happening in the world, join journalism, your future isn’t in a tweet about the movie your friend saw Saturday night.