• Good luck on all finals!

Should You Take the Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge?

Madison Richard, Contributor

As of Sunday night on April 19th, kids and young adults across the nation have been partaking in a new trend that is all over the media: the Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge.

Kylie Jenner, a famous reality show actress from “Keeping Up with the Kardashians”, recently artificially plumped her lips to be much larger and is being mocked for doing so. Since then, many young people in America have been making their own lips temporarily look plump and posting pictures and videos calling this trend the “Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge”.

To make their lips look “plumped” like Kylie’s, people put their lips in a shot glass, suck the air out of the glass to create pressure, and then remove the glass after a period of time . Then, once the shot glass is removed, their lips swell up to give them a fuller, bigger look.

However, there has been some concern about this gimmick. First of all, doctors say that this is a dangerous process as people are putting themselves at the risk of damage to their face. According to the Washington Post, dermatologist Dendy Engelman said “not only can significant pain, swelling, and bruising result from these suction techniques, but there is potential risk for scarring and permanent disfigurement with repeated attempts.” There is always the possibility that the glass will shatter in a person’s face from all of the pressure which would also cause harm and scarring.

There are others opposed to this process because they say women should not be risking the way they look permanently just to look like a famous Hollywood image for a short period of time.

Then again, most people are doing this as a simple joke, not to improve their appearance. Many believe that this “joke” has gone too far because of the harm and damage it is capable of causing.  It started as a funny trend and was encouraged by the media at first, but now that everyone has more knowledge about the effects of the Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge, people, mostly adults, have been trying to spread the word to stop participating in this fad via media.

The hashtag #KylieJennerChallenge trended on both Twitter and Instagram. Slowly, the rage of this challenge is dying down, due to medical concern. Though it may be funny and a good way to entertain yourself and others, or even to make yourself think you’ve improved your appearance, is it really worth risking your permanent health and safety to make your lips look fuller for a short matter of time? The answer is no.

Photo Courtesy of the Washington Post