Nashoba 2014- 2015: A Year in Review

Alicia Burrows, Contributor

Well Nashoba, this year has come to an end, and I think it’s safe to say that it has been quite a success. While, as a school, we faced a lot of obstacles over the course of the year, we definitely came out triumphant in the end.

The year definitely started on a bit of a disappointing note, with the first school day being on August 27th. But, we quickly adjusted to waking up at 6am, even the new freshman. This year, Nashoba even had the honor of welcoming a new teacher, Mr. Ellis. Mr. Ellis is now a history teacher at Nashoba, but before teaching here, he taught halfway across the world in Africa. He has brought his knowledge of his travels around the world to make learning history a more exciting experience.

Fall sports were quite a success, with huge achievements in Field Hockey, Soccer, Cross-Country, and Volleyball. All of the sports teams finished the fall season triumphantly, and brought their accomplishments into winter sports. Basketball, Swimming, Wrestling, and Hockey made history this winter, with the highlight of the season being Erin Cressman’s scoring of 1000 points in NGB! And finally, spring sports are continuing to finish the year on a strong note.

More success in Nashoba involved nine DECA members advancing to Nationals in Florida! After an amazing job at States, they definitely deserved it. However, the highlight of Nashoba’s year would have to be NEASC, also known as the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, coming to assess Nashoba this winter. After spending four days taking note of all of the school’s strengths and weaknesses, the team determined that Nashoba has been accredited, as long as we continue to improve upon our weaknesses.

As the year comes to a close, we have to say a few goodbyes. The seniors are not the only ones leaving Nashoba, Best Buddies Amy Enman and Charlie Miyata have graduated from their learning programs and music teacher Susan Mianulli is retiring after 21 years of teaching at the high school. With another successful year behind us, we can look forward to next year with hopes of another amazing school year. Well Nashoba, that’s a wrap!