Freshman Year Misnomers

Speaking from a current freshman point of view, teachers completely and entirely overrate the switch from eighth grade to freshman year. It isn’t that big of a transition. Trust me.

Last year, I was stressing out about Nashoba and how the school was SO BIG and the upperclassmen were SO MEAN. When, honestly, it seems middle school teachers have no idea what they’re talking about.

1.) The school is actually too small to accommodate the many students,

2.) The building is in a loop so there is no way you can get lost,

3.) Of the very few interactions freshman have with upperclassmen, none have been anything to remember. In fact, the upperclassmen often joke around with freshman and make a common class quite enjoyable.

Other freshmen agree, too. A lot of middle school teachers hype up this change, but Duncan Wilgress-Pipe said he didn’t have a lot of fears because he, “played sports in middle school so [he] knew lots of people already.” Duncan also said, “Teachers said it would be a lot harder and teachers would not help you at all”.

It also doesn’t matter if you didn’t play sports. Quinn O’Hagan said, “Everyone just mingles in and no one cares for the first few days.” Everyone is in the same place. It’s a new school and new kids, but it’s that way for everyone.

You become friends with people in your classes and soon, you’re friends with their friends.

“The eighth grade teachers made it sound like the [high school] teachers didn’t care less and it was completely on you, if you failed they didn’t care, if you didn’t turn anything in they didn’t care, which is over exaggerated  because teachers still do a good job and make sure things are done,” another freshman explained.

Also, don’t be scared of upperclassmen. They couldn’t care less about you, and they won’t go out of their way to be mean to you.

“I thought the upperclassmen would be much more intimidating, but in reality they don’t really care that you’re there,” Mary Bussiere says.

So, incoming freshman, here are some wise words from the kids who made the transition last year:

“Just keep your head on your shoulders, make sure that you get all of your work done, and keep everything on track,” Quinn O’Hagan advises.

But, don’t forget: it is important to do well this year. Some days will be hard and stressful, but all in all, it should be a good year.

Mary Bussiere suggests, “Actually try in freshman year because it does affect your GPA.”

So, don’t be scared eighth graders, it’s just another year of school!