• Late start next Wed, Dec 12th - see you at 9:30 am

• Auditions for Mary Poppins are on December 9th and 10th. GOOD LUCK!!

Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 23:  Donald Trump listens at the Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C Groundbreaking Ceremony at Old Post Office on July 23, 2014 in Washington, DC.  (Photo by Paul Morigi/WireImage)

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 23: Donald Trump listens at the Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C Groundbreaking Ceremony at Old Post Office on July 23, 2014 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Paul Morigi/WireImage)

WireImage

WireImage

WireImage

Kayla Lawlor, Contributor

Anyone who hasn’t heard of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign must be living under a rock.

Trump is one of the top Republican candidates and has caused loads of controversy since his announcement earlier this summer. It isn’t hard to see why.

Donald Trump grew up in a wealthy neighborhood in Queens, New York. As he grew into adulthood, he became involved in the world of economics and graduated with a master’s degree from the Wharton School of Finance. Soon after, Trump became a businessman in the field of real estate, and purchased and renamed several buildings in his name. He has been married three times and fathered five children. He has been seen on reality TV shows such as The Apprentice and has been heavily involved in the Miss America Beauty Pageant.

Although Trump has been on the radar of many Americans, he is only now becoming a popular subject of ridicule and debate. Trump announced his campaign on June 16th, sparking an uproar afterwords. The businessman has made racist, sexist, and just plain absurd remarks:

Sorry losers and haters, but my I.Q. is one of the highest -and you all know it! Please don’t feel so stupid or insecure,it’s not your fault

Trump also, said, “26,000 unreported sexual assaults in the military-only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?”

Donald Trump is very concerned about illegal immigrants, and has proposed the very serious idea of building a wall across the entirety of the Mexican-American border. Not only this, but he also wants Mexico to build and pay for the wall.

“Mexico’s leaders have been taking advantage of the United States by using illegal immigration to export the crime and poverty in their own country” Trump said on his campaign website.

Trump also plans to take the money from sanctuary cities away, enhance penalties for overstaying a visa, and deport all illegal immigrants. Trump has not yet commented on how there are millions of immigrants he intends to immediately deport, how illegal immigrants currently count for 5.1% of the US labor force, or how only about half of the illegal immigrant population is Mexican. Trump also plans to end birthright citizenship.

Many Nashoba students, especially upperclassmen, have become politically aware of the 2016 campaign, since many will be able vote in both the primaries and the general election themselves. Students have very strong opinions on Donald Trump, and many aren’t scared to show that opinion publicly.

“Donald Trump is an idiot” Senior Emily Adams said.

““I think his immigration policies are very misguided,” Sara Grube commented. She went on to say that it is ridiculous how immigration is the foundation of this country and Trump believes he can make America great again by using the idea that people from other countries don’t deserve to be in America.

“People say they like Trump because he speaks his mind and he doesn’t say he’s sorry. I think that’s definitely an admirable quality to have but when you are putting other people down and they’re still voting for you there’s definitely a miscommunication,” Kelly Bagdonas said.

Nashoba teachers also have strong opinions on Trump. Mr. Poirier, one of Nashoba’s history teachers, shared his opinions on Donald Trump, saying he is xenophobic and that expecting Mexico to pay for a wall is “stupid.” Mr. Poirier believes the presidential candidate is simply “trying to build up fire under people” and unfortunately not getting to any of the real issues.

“As far as I’m concerned, his approach on immigration is so racist I’m not sure how else to put it,” Mr. Poirier commented. “I don’t think he’s fit to be president at all. You know, he talks about his businesses but is always in debt and he’s filed bankruptcy four times. That doesn’t make him know anything about finances. He wants to go to war with Iran and any other country that’s against him. He’s not gonna be able to do anything as president. I think he’s doing this all for show. I think there’s gonna be a documentary about this later on.”

On the subject of women’s rights, Mr. Poirier had quite a lot to say: “I don’t think he has any real views on women or women’s rights,” Mr. Poirier commented. “I think he thinks they’re objects, if you think about his role with Miss America, if you think about the fact that he’s what, been married three, or four times, I don’t know. He actually said something about how if his daughter wasn’t his daughter he would date her. That’s really gross! He has no idea. He says ‘Oh, well women love me’. No, they really don’t, unless you pay for them to love you.””

Nashoba sure seems to have very heated opinions on Donald Trump. Although, some may have different opinions, the general Nashoba population does not agree with him. Many students are hoping Democrat, Bernie Sanders, will win the presidency as well.Trump-Kissing

1 Comment

One Response to “Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?”

1. Andrea DeLisle on September 28th, 2015 10:06 pm

Awesome article, Kayla!

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Trump’s Second Term Could Depend on A Chinese Official That Was Arrested Last Week

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Food For Thought: Green Leaf

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Take A Hike, But Use the Right Footwear

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Opinion

Diamond in the Ruff – Pit Bulls

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

The Binge – Arrested Development

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Opinion

Hayden’s Picks: Top 5 NBA Players under 24

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

The Binge – “The Office”

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Teacher Feature: Mrs. d’Entremont

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Food for Thought: RUKA

• Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?

Food for Thought- The Painted Burro

Donald Trump: Yay or Nay?