Cookies, Cakes, and Celebrations

Jackie Cannon, Editor

The holidays are a time for fun, family, and food. Everyone has a favorite holiday treat, from cookies to pies to breads. Around Nashoba, each student has a treat that they look forward to every year during the holidays.

Love cookies? Talk to Alicia Burrows about Hershey Kiss Peanut Butter Cookies, or ask Casey Hallberg about delicious Gingerbread Men. Find Ally Boyle for a great Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, or Olivia Magliozzi for delicious Anise Cookies. And if you’re looking for even more Italian cookies, Brianna Coggins recommends Italian Wedding Cookies. Peter Lam, meanwhile, suggests as many Peppermint Mocha Cookie Balls as you can get. Hayley Giovinazzo likes Candy Cane Cookies as a favorite holiday treat. If you’re looking for some quick, store-bought cookies, Katherine Hamilton suggests you grab some Pirouline Cookies the next time you’re at the grocery store. And if you stop by the main office, Ms. O’Donnell will be glad to rave about Break-up Cookies (Saltines covered by a layer of caramel and a layer of chocolate.)

Are you in search of something a little fancier to share with your family this winter? Many people around Nashoba named various cakes and pies as their favorite holiday dessert. Just ask Hannah Castner. She loves her mom’s famous Mint Torte. Cat Smith raves about her family’s Cookie Pie, and Lisa Fossa loves when there’s cheesecake at her holiday parties, especially when it’s Snickers Cheesecake. For Natalie Wanamaker, a special holiday treat is a Dutch Tea Ring, a cake filled with apricot jam. Erin Alzapiedi likes to keep it classic with Pumpkin Pie while Emily Suleski loves her family’s Jimmy Cake, but don’t try to get the recipe from her- it’s  a family secret! All she would reveal is that it’s vanilla bundt cake with sprinkles and vanilla pudding, along with other secret ingredients.

For some people, holiday treats don’t have to be sweet to be delicious! Lexi Traverse loves Baked Brie, which is brie cheese wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent dough. Lauren Beck keeps it traditional with Gingerbread, and Bella Susi loves classic Cinnamon Buns. Stop by the English office and Mrs. Carter will surely recommend Caramel Pumpkin Bread Pudding. Alice Torres suggests going back to basics with delicious brownies, and Katie Harrington suggests making Pillsbury Crescent Rolls filled with chocolate for a sweet and savory treat.

Holiday desserts don’t always have to be baked goods either. Kali Cook loves Chocolate-and-Caramel-Covered Pretzels. Dan Yapp is more than happy with a box of Candy Canes, and Stephanie Palis proposes washing everything down with a tasty glass of Eggnog. Mint Chocolates are Costanza Artegiani’s favorite thing to eat, and Hannah Stevenson likes a big bowl of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream.

If you ask me, I say make a big plate of Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs and share them with your friends and family for a fun and delicious holiday celebration.