Muslim Migration Moratorium

A review of Donald Trump's controversial plan to stop the entrance of Muslims to the United States

Donald Trump at a South Carolina campaign rally. Photograph: Sean Rayford/Getty Images

Alice Torres, Editor

Donald Trump makes a controversial comment, yet again. What a shocker.

In December 2015, Trump’s campaign first announced that he wants a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslims trying to enter the United States. He has also called for a Muslim database and the addition of government surveillance cameras in mosques throughout the country. All of these measures are intended to  counteract the terrorism that struck California and France in the last year. Trump has also claimed to have seen a video of American Muslims cheering after the 9/11 attacks, but according to the Huffington Post, this is “footage that no television network has been able to dig up.”

CNN reported that Donald Trump asserted, “[w]ithout looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred [of Muslims towards America] is beyond comprehension. Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life.”

The suggested ban Trump wants to institute would restrict both those looking to immigrate to the U.S. and Muslims coming as tourists. This broad umbrella-ban would put a moratorium on virtually every person of this faith from entering the United States.

“People that are looking to destroy our country must be reported and turned in by the good people who love our country and want America to be great again,” repeats Trump throughout his stump speech.

As President Obama declared in a December 6th Address to the Nation, Americans must join together and deny any form of prejudice, bigotry, and intolerance at home in the United States. The President proclaimed, “just as it is the responsibility of Muslims around the world to root out misguided ideas that lead to radicalization, it is the responsibility of all Americans — of every faith — to reject discrimination.”

Unfortunately, the world today is rife with those who wish ill upon others. Any negative feelings or actions towards those who would do harm to the world should not punish those with whom they share naught but a label.