Where’s The Snow?

Jill Leach shovels her car out at her home in Boston's Charlestown section, Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015, one day after a blizzard dumped about 2 feet of snow in the city. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

AP

Jackie Cannon, Editor

With the snow melted and only two snow days under their belt, the Nashoba community is all wondering the same thing: will there be any more snow days? Seniors will staunchly declare that this year needs to be full of snow and ice because they’re leaving Nashoba on May 27th, regardless of cancelled school days. For some underclassmen and teachers, however, the story is different. For every extra day spent at home shoveling and drinking hot cocoa, another day of school is tacked on in June.

At the moment, the last day of school is Monday, June 20th, and it’s only getting later from this point. Last year, with 108.6 inches blanketing New England, the record for snowfall in Boston was broken. This year, no one knows if we’ll push the record higher or enjoy mild weather.

The weather up to this point has been much warmer than usual. According to Accu-Weather, 21 out of 31 days in Worcester in January were at or above the historic average. Meanwhile, 7 of the eight first days of February were at or above the average in Worcester. In December 2015, 27 out of 31 days in Worcester were at or above the average temperature. According to various weather forecasts, the temperatures will start to fluctuate, but it looks as if Massachusetts might have gotten off easy this winter. The once-strong El Nino winds have weakened, and it seems as if Punxsutawney Phil might have gotten the prediction for early Spring right this year. For Nashoba students and staff, this may mean different things.

“I truly believe in safety, and snow days assure the well-being of our Nashoba community,” Senior Olivia Magliozzi states. “As a plus, snow days for Seniors do not have to be made up in the summer! I want as many snow days as possible to relax and sled.”

“Snow days are amazing and they are a right. Seniors want more,” Alicia Burrows adds.

Julia Wachtel, a Junior, wants some snow days as well: “I think snow days are necessary because the roads can be dangerous, and I like the extra sleep. They make sense in the long run, but it also drags out too much in the summer.”

Regardless of students’ opinions, it seems as if the snowfall is dwindling down for the year. Then again, this is New England, and a surprise Spring storm could be lurking. So, Nashoba, enjoy the early Spring while it’s here, because you never know when it might change!