Is Trump going to “Make America Great Again”?

Derek Pasquale, Contributor

With the race for the White House heating up, two candidates have pulled ahead in the competition. Donald Trump leads the Republican side while Hillary Clinton is beating Bernie Sanders on the Democratic side.

For all political parties,  it’s hard to argue with the fact that this may be one of the most controversial races in history. Trump supporters are ready for his pledged change, but what lengths will he go to to make a difference? Trump’s famed slogan, “Make America Great Again,” has caught the attention of many, but others are wondering just what this means.

Trump has based his campaign on narrowing immigration, eradicating national debt, and creating a racial divide. Despite major controversy, his campaign tactics have begun to work their ways on the American people. Trump has dominated the American primaries by winning 1,161 delegates thus far. His closest competition, Ted Cruz, has recently dropped out of the race, leaving Trump as the presumptive Republican nominee.

A senior at Nashoba Regional High School, Kyle Tremblay, declared, “I am really leaning towards Trump. He is one of the greatest candidates I’ve seen since Mitt Romney or the great George W. Bush.” Kyle has invested a lot of his time in this year’s presidential election, and is even featured in a Marco Rubio campaign commercial.

Trump has certainly won the loyalty of a large and diverse group of American voters. According to BBC, more than half of Trump-backers are female and about a third are over the age of 65. Only 2% are younger than 30. Half of his voters have a high-school diploma, but just 19% have a college degree. Just over a third earn less than $50,000, while 11% make a salary of six figures or more.

“I think he’s great,” opined Andrew “Vito” Vittorioso, another senior at Nashoba.”He will make America great again. He is definitely the most qualified candidate in the field on both sides.”

This is certainly a polarizing election. Whether deciding to vote Trump, Clinton, or Sanders, everyone can agree it is time to make America great again. So a question for our great nation: Who is the best candidate for that job?