• Ms. Rich named MASS AD of the year

2016 Election Update (Edited)

Quick politics info as of mid-September.

Sam Mitchell, Editor

As of September 13th, the 2016 election showdown is a mere 55 days away. As this great day of decision approaches, candidates from Clinton and Trump down to local officials continue to sharpen their message, reach out to voters, expand field operations, and prepare to get out the vote come November 8th.

One of the most significant developments in the election in upcoming weeks will be the results from the three presidential debates. These debates will take place on September 26th, October 9th, and October 19th (the Vice Presidential Candidates will debate on October 4th). These debates will give US voters a chance to see Secretary Clinton and Mr. Trump square off head-to-head for the first time, pitting Trump’s message of conservative and America-first ideas against Clinton’s progressive and globally-inclusive ideas.

Trump desperately needs these debates to help him win support from undecided voters. Clinton has led in the polls for months, leading by a large margin in important swing states. Read more about the state of the polls here.

Both candidates have had continued difficulties with accusations of lying. Most recently, Mr. Trump has received flack for misconstruing his position on the Iraq War while being interviewed by Matt Lauer. Other recent controversies include Trump’s insistence, at a veterans’ forum, that women in the military are at fault for the sexual assault that occurs and his continued support of President Vladimir Putin, of Russia.

Clinton has also received her fair share of criticism in recent weeks from the media and the public. She was critiqued for not smiling enough while speaking on national defense and veterans’ issues earlier this week. It was discovered that Clinton has been suffering from a pneumonia infection when she left a 9/11 memorial early. She assured voters in a CNN interview on Monday that it was a minor case and nothing to worry about. Also, allegations regarding ‘pay-to-play’ in the Clinton Foundation have been circling.

Governor Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate for President, has continued to poll a few percentage points below the 15% margin needed to be included in the debates. He hopes that, should his support rise, this exposure to undecided voters could turn the election on its head. It remains to be seen, however, whether he will reach the necessary benchmark.

The candidates will now continue to ramp up their operations in key swing states and proceed down the final stretch of this tumultuous election season. As of now, that is all we know for sure.

1 Comment

One Response to “2016 Election Update (Edited)”

1. Scott Drugotch on September 19th, 2016 12:12 pm

Hello Sam, if you’re going to write about politics, state the facts, not your opinion. Your writing above is clearly swayed toward one candidate. First, ONLY Clinton has an issue with Lying her entire political career, not both. Clinton is also being investigated through Congressional hearings based on the missing emails relating to her pay for play involvement with the JD and the Clinton Foundation. Very important story if you don’t know. I can give other examples, but maybe you need to do your homework first and not just Google the last two months. Trump, yes he’s not an experienced political candidate, however that is helping him in the polls because people trust him. With all due respect, if you’re not going to report the facts than keep it out of the public school system.

Nashoba Taxpayer

[Reply]

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

The NRHS Endowment Fund Seeks Volunteers

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Senior Alex Kischitz Wins Boston Bruins-MIAA Sportsmanship Award

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Ashley Cormier and Lea Markham Won an Award!

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Are Uber’s Self-driving Cars Over After a Crash?

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Politics

Trump and the Russian Controversy

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Nashoba’s Political Awareness Club Spotlight

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Nashoba Drama Impresses Once Again with Kiss Me, Kate

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Promposals

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

Showcase

What’s Up With March Madness?

• 2016 Election Update (Edited)

GOP Proposes ‘Repeal and Replace’ for Obamacare

2016 Election Update (Edited)