Election Poll Update: Health Controversy

Eva Ricci, Editor

– [Week of September 14th] – With 48 days left until Election day, recent Poll numbers have been drastically altered over the past week. Most recently, American media is seeing the rise of Donald Trump’s poll numbers all over the country, including in critical swing states needed to win the election.  

His sudden rise in poll numbers have been a direct result of a new Clinton controversy; her pneumonia diagnosis. During the 9/11 Memorial service held in New York City, media caught footage of Democratic candidate, Hillary Clinton leaving the service early due to being dehydrated. Video shows that Mrs. Clinton appears to stumble, possibly passing out before entering a vehicle to be escorted away.

Not long after information of Mrs. Clinton becoming dehydrated surfaced to the media, the Clinton campaign announced that she had been diagnosed with pneumonia, a few days prior. This revelation has caused much controversy surrounding her illness and has triggered concern over whether the Clinton campaign has been honest with the American public regarding her health.  When reports of her stumble first appeared, it was not known to the American media that she had been diagnosed with pneumonia. Much of the public and media was concerned as to why they were not alerted that she had already been diagnosed. Many believe that is their right to know the health records of each candidate, and that it does make an important difference in their selection for President. These concerns have prompted Donald Trump to speak of his own medical health records, even going on the Dr. Oz show to discuss them.

The controversy that the Clinton campaign has caused, has resulted in the slip of Mrs. Clinton’s poll numrcppollbers. Shown on the right in the poll from Real Clear Politics, it is shown that Clinton does still have a 0.9% lead over Trump following her incident at the 9/11 memorial, but her lead is diminishing. 

With confusion and controversy still stirring over Clinton’s medical crisis, “According to the latest poll, conducted by YouGov in partnership with the Times of London, only 45 percent of American voters believe the Clinton campaign’s explanation for why she suffered a ‘medical episode’ at Sunday’s 9/11 memorial service in New York. Furthermore, 46 percent of voters don’t think Clinton has pneumonia at all and is suffering from a different, undisclosed illness, while nine percent said they didn’t know what to believe” (Christian Datoc, The Daily Caller).

This lack of transparency that the Clinton campaign has put forth through her recent illness, and also through her email scandal has impacted her lead against Trump, shown through the polls.

With the upcoming Presidential debates, where the polls lead will be extremely unpredictable for American media and politicians but everyone is anxious to find out.
Sources:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/13/latest-poll-should-shock-hillary-heres-how-her-health-fiasco-is-shaping-the-election/#ixzz4Khu0lui2

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Picture: http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/08/02/trump-vs-clinton-russians-views-sdg-orig.cnn