• Happy Summer!

• Don't forget, late start for finals this Thursday, Friday, and Monday, with school starting normally on Tuesday

• Last day of school is June 20th

• Girls Break High Jump Record 4.61m

Not One, but Two Book Clubs!

Kaitlyn Tobin, Contributor

Two book clubs have recently started this year, revealing several chances for many students to read interesting books and meet new friends.

The first book club meets on the second Tuesday of every month in the Media Center. This book club was suggested by Anna Moffat, a senior at Nashoba. Mrs. Landry and Mrs. Williams are both co-advisers of the club, and they had their first meeting Tuesday, September 13th, from 2:30-3:30, after school. During this meeting, they voted and decided on reading “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr, a beautiful historical fiction novel about a blind French girl and a German boy who meet in France, while trying to survive the devastation of World War II.

Alternately, the second book club meets every other Tuesday in Room 213. Adri Dominguez, a junior at Nashoba, requested the second book club because the first book club was not known to her. Mr. Kendall is an adviser of this club, and it consists of mostly juniors. By voting last meeting, they decided to read “Eleanor and Park” by Rainbow Rowell over the next couple of weeks.  Members of the club will read this book by their next meeting, October 11th.

Georgia Dittemore, a member of the second book club, commented “…I’ve always had a love of books and any chance to discuss a book is an opportunity I’ll gladly take. So far I think book club is going well and I hope to see it go places in the future.”

Now becoming a reality, two book clubs will offer opportunities for students who are obsessed with reading or are running out of books to read. In these clubs you can explore your favorite books in some intense discussions, find comfort as you mourn dead characters, and follow suggestions to find the perfect book for you. Also, both book clubs have promised to supply snacks.

At book club, nobody will judge your extreme passion for books; in fact, you might find someone who loves them just a bit more. Bonding over favorite books and characters is a great way to meet new friends. One book is all it takes to have something to discuss for days.

Some students don’t appreciate the value of books and reading, so having two book clubs is a great addition to Nashoba. Books can bring students together and create new friendships. Hopefully students will take advantage of this great opportunity and spend some time reading and talking about books this year.