Think Taylor

Garren LaPlante & Aly Curran, Editor & Contibutor

September 21-25 was concussion awareness week sponsored by concussion advocate company Think Taylor. During that week, our Nashoba Sports teams sported as much orange as they could wear during their games. These games were called our “Taylor games.”

Taylor Twellman is an ex- New England Revolution player and US National team player. He holds the record for the quickest player to score 100 goals (174 Matches) in the MLS. He also holds the record for the most goals in the Revolution’s history.

Over his eight year professional career, he has suffered from several concussions. His final blow came on August 30th of 2008. In the 22nd minute of the game, an early cross came in the box as Twellman ran onto the ball. As he went up for the header, the LA Galaxy goalkeeper came out to punch the ball away. Twellman got there first. Though he scored, the keeper missed the ball and hit him with a punch to his left temple-a devastating blow for him. His last game was played on June 9th, 2009. After years of PCS (Post Concussion Syndrome), he retired from professional soccer in 2011.

Think Taylor was created after Taylor Twellman was forced to retire from his all-star MLS career in 2011. After he was hit in the game, he was faced with post-concussion syndrome. He was fine for a minute after he was hit but soon after, he complained to a teammate about his head hurting him. Taylor was frightened by what he was reading and hearing, and didn’t want any parent to have to go through that experience with their child. He wanted to properly educate students, coaches, players, and parents on concussions and their effects.

Taylor chose the color orange for Concussion awareness, because it is the color of healing. His mission was to make sure everyone involved in youth sports were properly educated. Think Taylor, the company he invented, dedicates one week in September for Concussion Awareness in Massachusetts and they partner with the MIAA. His main goal is to teach and spread awareness to all parents and players involved in all sports with possible concussions.

Here at Nashoba, we want to show our support for the Think Taylor organization. The girls soccer team wore orange wristbands to their designated game as well as the boys soccer team. Boys soccer also planned ahead and ordered camo shirts that read “Think Taylor” on the front. Great idea, boys! Field Hockey spread their awareness with headbands, bag tags, and sweatbands. Thank you, to all of our Nashoba student athletes who showed their support by wearing orange. Go Nashoba!

For more information on Think Taylor, visit http://www.thinktaylor.org/#home