• Band Concert 10/27

• Late Start 10/18

• Come to the Fall Harvest Dance on October 21st!

The Current State of the Election

Getty Images

Getty Images

Eva Ricci, Editor

With 14 days left until Election Day on November 8th, the Presidential election is currently in a state of disarray. Following the second and third Presidential debates that took place over the past couple weeks, numerous developments have taken place that may have completely changed the direction of the election, impacting both candidates.

Recently, Republican candidate Donald Trump has officially cut ties with Paul Ryan, Republican Speaker of the House in the US House of Representatives, causing extreme turmoil. Trump would tweetIt is so nice that the shackles have been taken off me and I can now fight for America the way I want to,” referring to his disconnect with Paul Ryan and many of the unsupportive Republican members that have been against Trump since the beginning of the race.

This is the only time in the history of the United States that a candidate has turned on their own political party. This monumental decision made by Trump is predicted to now spark division amongst much of the GOP, but to many Trump supporters, this decision is considered to be beneficial. Many supporters of Trump remain on his side and agree with statements he has made, claiming that the GOP has been incredibly unfair and has not taken his candidacy seriously or treated it with respect.

Stated in a rally held in West Palm Beach, Florida on October 13th, Trump claims: “There is nothing the political establishment will not do, no lie that they won’t tell to hold their prestige and power at your expense and that’s what’s been happening”.

Further, Trump goes on to say: “The Washington establishment and the financial and media corporations that fund it, exist for only one reason: to protect and enrich itself.”

This frustration that Trump and much of the American public feel toward both political parties has been a primary factor in the success of the Trump campaign. By revisiting old tactics by expressing his frustration about the current state of government, Trump is hoping to regain his lead over his rival.

But as the disconnect that Donald Trump initiated between him and the Republican party may be an attractive aspect to some of his supporters, the divisional impact that it may have on the GOP even after the election, could potentially turn out to be detrimental.

On the other side, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton is still struggling with her email scandal and recently has been dealing with more and more leaked emails from Wikileaks.

Over the course of the election, Wikileaks has made itself a prominent factor in the race, as it has been known to leak emails, more specifically emails from the Clinton campaign and from members of the DNC. Wikileaks has promised to continue releasing hacked emails until the day of the election.

Most recently, Wikileaks has been responsible for the leaking of emails from Clinton campaign chairman, John Podesta. Due to the amount that have been leaked, many of which contain very controversial information, not all can be spoken of. But most controversially, Podesta has received vast criticism for emailing Clinton and telling her to call “needy Latinos” and ask for endorsements.

Hillary Clinton’s email scandal has been extremely problematic for her campaign and more emails continue to be leaked daily. How this will effect her going forth is yet to be determined.

Over the last week, the third and final Presidential debate took place, arguably their most heated one of the three. In terms of polling, results remain scattered. According to the White House Watch poll conducted by Rassmusen Reports, Trump is ahead of his rival by two points at 43%, while Clinton is at 41%. Displayed by numerous other polls throughout the country including one conducted by Quinnipiac University, Clinton is ahead of Trump by a 7 point lead at 47% to 40%.

With all things considered, this election is one of the most controversial elections in history. With both candidates and political parties having their share of troubles, America surely has their work cut out for them on November 8th.

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3hJjWTLRB0

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/785842546878578688

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/10/13/four-juiciest-leaked-podesta-emails/92014368/

Cover Image: https://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/gettyimages-613699030.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch_oct21

http://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2390