• Happy Summer!

• Don't forget, late start for finals this Thursday, Friday, and Monday, with school starting normally on Tuesday

• Last day of school is June 20th

• Girls Break High Jump Record 4.61m

Election Poll Update: Election Day Countdown

AP

AP

Eva Ricci, Editor

With less than a week left until Election Day, the Presidential race is once again getting tighter between the two candidates, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. This time, it is yet again due to another email scandal associated with the Clinton campaign.

Over the past few weeks, polls all over the country showed Democratic candidate, Hillary Clinton, leading Trump by as much as 7 points. But as time is dwindling down until November 8th, the wide lead that Hillary Clinton had over her rival is diminishing.

In recent developments last week, the Clinton campaign is yet again dealing with another controversy. And this time, the results of this scandal may be the most damaging the American public has seen over the course of this election cycle.

On Friday, the FBI announced that they will be re-opening the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server controversy. New developments in regard to her email scandal have resurfaced due to a separate investigation conducted by the FBI over congressman Anthony Weiner, who reportedly had been sexting a minor. This investigation led FBI officials to confiscate his computer on which contained emails that belonged to Huma Abedin.

Clinton campaign top aide, Huma Abedin, is the estranged wife of Weiner and has played a vital role in the success of Clinton thus far. Months ago when Clinton was originally being investigated regarding the email controversy, Abedin claimed that she handed over all devices that may have contained anything that may be of interest to the FBI.

“‘I looked for all the devices that may have any of my State Department work on it and returned – returned – gave them to my attorneys for them to review for all relevant documents,’ Abedin said. ‘And gave them devices and paper.’

Abedin claimed she handed over two laptops, a BlackBerry, and other files she found in her apartment. She also said she wasn’t involved in the process of what specific files would be handed over to the State Department,” (Fox News).

Found on Weiner’s computer, the FBI is now investigating new emails that were not previously turned over, sent from Abedin to Clinton, or vice-versa. The significance of these emails are not yet known, and how they will affect Clinton is not known either. The FBI is not sure if there are any emails that may be relevant to the State department, but they will be looking into the matter. Although they are opening a new investigation, many people have criticized the FBI for making unprecedented comments about a candidate this close to the election. Harry Reid, the Democratic minority leader, said that FBI Director Comey “may have broken the law” with his comments and is “sitting on proof of Trump-Russia” ties.

The FBI did say however, that even though the emails may not be anything of interest, they may contradict previous statements made by Abedin claiming that she handed over all devices that may contain emails. This could be very problematic for her.

In terms of how this will impact the election, the Clinton campaign is already feeling the effects.nytimes Shown to the right, the New York Times, compared a majority of polls around the country to display the outcomes. Clinton is still winning in most, but her numbers have shrunk immensely from last week. Trump is now up by 1 point in the ABC News/Washington Post poll and both candidates are tied in polls conducted Rasmussen and again by UPI/CVoter. What the polls will look like up to Election day are unpredictable.

This election has been one of the most controversial in history, leaving the American public anxious to see the results on November 8th.

Sources:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/01/humas-email-testimony-could-haunt-her-as-fbi-renews-probe.html

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/polls.html?_r=0

www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/SUPER_TUESDAYS_POST01.jpg