The Trump Administration Transition

Source: https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/11/11/us/politics/donald-trump-administration-1478905372015/donald-trump-administration-1478905372015-master495.jpg

Eva Ricci, Editor

As it has been nearly a month since the results of the Presidential election, President-elect, Donald Trump, has been making significant progress in regards to choosing members of his executive cabinet.

As the inauguration is approaching on January 20th, many are anxious to see the final choices for members of the Trump cabinet.

Among those chosen a few weeks ago, Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee has been appointed to be the next White House Chief of Staff.

Michael Flynn has been chosen to serve as the next National Security Advisor. Jeff Sessions, a senator from Alabama, has been chosen to serve as the next Attorney General of the United States, replacing Loretta Lynch. Mike Pompeo has also been chosen to serve as Director of the C.I.A.

Stephen Bannon has been officially confirmed to be named Chief Strategist in the White House. Bannon has been reportedly accused of making racist comments in the past, making him a more controversial choice by Trump.

Newly chosen cabinet members include:

• Wilbur Ross: Commerce Secretary
  • Betsy DeVos: Education Secretary
  • Nikki Haley: U.N. Ambassador
  • Ben Carson: Housing and Urban Development Secretary
  • Steven Mnuchin: Treasury Secretary
  • Tom Price: Health and Human Services Secretary
  • Elaine Chao: Transportation Secretary

At a rally held on December 1st, Trump announced the selection of James Mattis for the position of Defense Secretary.

More controversially, the American public and media are waiting for the announcement of Trump’s choice for the next Secretary of State. Among the rumored contenders are Republican governor Mitt Romney, which has sparked interest among many. Before the results of the election, Romney was a strong critic of Trump and spoke publicly about his opinions of the now President-elect. To be considering him for the position of Secretary of State has come at a shock to many, and much of the American public has voiced their confusion over the matter. 

Other considerations for the position include General David Patraeus, Rudy Giuliani, John Kelly, Bob Corker, John Bolton, and Zalmay Khalilzad. There may potentially be more names in the running for this position, but the American public will not completely know the results until Trump announces them.

As the days count down until the Presidential inauguration, it has been a shared goal between the Obama and Trump administrations to make this transition as smooth as possible. In terms of the current status of the transition, that has so far been shown to be true.

Sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?_r=0