• Happy Summer!

• Don't forget, late start for finals this Thursday, Friday, and Monday, with school starting normally on Tuesday

• Last day of school is June 20th

• Girls Break High Jump Record 4.61m

How Did He Win?

Courtesy%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fres.cloudinary.com%2Ftpm%2Fimage%2Fupload%2Fc_fill%2Cfl_keep_iptc%2Cg_face%2Cw_653%2Ch_361%2Fmmnjuzpieronx3vrjfmu.jpg
Courtesy: https://res.cloudinary.com/tpm/image/upload/c_fill,fl_keep_iptc,g_face,w_653,h_361/mmnjuzpieronx3vrjfmu.jpg

AP

AP

Eva Ricci, Editor

As it has been over two months since Election day and the announcement of the next President-elect, it seems as if there has been a new scenario every week that tries to delegitimize the election of Donald Trump.

Understandably, citizens that identify as Democrats or even those who chose to vote for Democratic candidate, Hillary Clinton, have been upset by the fact that Donald Trump has taken the presidency. Many are not surprised by the upset that this has caused as Clinton did have a large support base, but there are many surprised by the fact that there have been so many attempts to delegitimize his victory. 

As it has been known, Hillary Clinton did win the overall popular vote, but Donald Trump was able to secure the presidency by winning states that translated into higher electoral votes. This fact that Trump did not win the popular vote has caused extreme controversy among Clinton and third-party voters while further causing extreme backlash against the electoral college, part of our election system since the origins of the Constitution of the United States.

To many, it seems as if the loss of Hillary Clinton has had to be blamed on some factor that ultimately impacted the outcome of the election.

Beginning with the electoral college, there was a strong movement against the organization, claiming that it makes our country “not a true Democracy”. Keep in mind, the electoral college has been used in every other presidential election, and it has not been called into question before.

After protesting the electoral college, anti-Trump supporters were quick to jump to a new scenario that would rationalize the loss of Hillary Clinton. The next accusation was that it must’ve been a mistake from the polls and that the ballots casted for Trump were incorrectly counted.

Making this accusation more public, Green Party candidate, Jill Stein, raised around $7 million and quickly became the leader of a recount effort to challenge the accuracy of the ballot counts in favor of Trump. The recount efforts would take place in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

Despite the amount of money she managed to raise, Stein only successfully completed a full recount in the state of Wisconsin. The outcome made no difference in the fact that Donald Trump won the state. After this, Stein cancelled the recount efforts in Michigan and Pennsylvania.

After an unsuccessful effort to prove the inaccuracy of votes in favor of Trump, a new accusation appeared, and this one on a global scale. The next was a rumor that Russia had hacked the election process and influenced votes in the benefit of Trump.

This “Russian hack” claim is a divided issue for many Americans, as many do believe that Russia has the audacity and capability to intervene with the election. But Trump, and those on the conservative side, believe that this is another excuse made by the left to try and explain why Clinton lost.

After President Obama sent a warning to Russia on the behalf of the United States to keep out of the election process, Russian Press Secretary Dmitry S. Peskov responded: “‘It is necessary to either stop talking about it, or finally produce some evidence,’ he told the Interfax news agency. ‘Otherwise, it all begins to look quite unseemly’” (Courtesy of the New York Times). The relationship between the United States and Russia has always been shaky, but recently tensions have been more noticeable due to these latest controversies.

There are plenty more incidents to mention that many believe may have impacted the overall result of the election. These incidents include the leaked Clinton campaign emails by Wikileaks and the re-opening of the Clinton email scandal investigation by FBI director, James Comey.

Despite the efforts made to deny him the Presidency, the reality of Donald Trump becoming the 45th President of the United States is approaching as the inauguration is only days away. As his winning of the election has been such a controversy, this event is one that many are anxious to see and will surely be watched by both sides of the political spectrum.

Sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/us/politics/russia-hack-election-trump-obama.html?_r=0