Trump and the Russian Controversy

Republican presidential candidate, businessman Donald Trump stands during the Fox Business Network Republican presidential debate at the North Charleston Coliseum, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016, in North Charleston, S.C. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

AP

AP

Izzy McKinney, Contributor

The controversy continues between Trump and his advisers and their ties with Russia. The latest of Trump’s advisers to be caught up in the Russian scandal is President Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, who has agreed to be questioned over his meetings with the Russian ambassador, Sergey I. Kislyak. This line of questioning is part of a much broader investigation into Trump and his associates’ ties to Russia and the Kremlin. While communication between politicians and foreign governments is not unusual, the nature of these meetings and the circumstances under which they occurred is being called into question.

So far, over the course of the investigation, only Michael Flynn, former Security Adviser to the President, has resigned. It was discovered he had mislead Vice President Pence and other White House officials and lied about his meetings with Russian ambassador. He is set to testify in Russia probe, something he promised to do only if granted immunity.

Former adviser and campaign manager, Paul Manafort, is also under fire from the investigation. He has been criticized over his ties with Ukraine and his assistance with helping a pro-Russian politician get elected. While this did not tie him directly to Russia, it still was a cause for concern, so much so that Senator and Intelligence Committee vice chairman Mark Warner of Virginia, wanted to talk to him.

Due to the recent and numerous allegations brought against Trump and his advisers about their connections to Russia, the controversy is unsurprising, considering Trump’s continuous praise of Russian president, Vladimir Putin. Many wonder if his presidency will be able to survive the numerous controversies as more incidents come to the forefront.

Photo Credit: Politico