Hurricane Harvey Devastates Texas

Eva Ricci, Chief Editor

September 1st, 2017  –  After facing the devastating effects for over a week, Texas is finally getting a small break from Hurricane Harvey. Although the storm is dwindling away from the coast, many are still stranded inside their homes or out seeking shelter and assistance.

Photo courtesy of Time

Lingering around since the beginning of this week, this storm has not been friendly to the people of Texas. Mandatory evacuation efforts were enforced among most of the people that resided around coastal areas, but many in more inland areas did not heed these warnings as they believed that they were safer. This was not necessarily true as Houston was hit just as hard as many of these coastal areas. Due to the fact that a mandatory evacuation warning was not enforced in the Houston area, many people have been left stranded in their homes, unable to access emergency rescue services, as their lines have been overwhelmed with calls for help.

Images from the storm have been striking to people all over the country, even to those who were not directly impacted by this powerful storm. Shown to the right, this popularized image has been broadcasted all over the country from various news sources. The image shows a group of elderly people, left stranded in their assisted living home, up past their waists in flood waters. Unfortunately, images like this one are common and many people have found themselves in similar situations, unable to access help.

Photo courtesy of NBC News

Volunteer services and first responders have been working extremely hard to help assist as many people as possible who have been impacted by this storm. Many rescue attempts have been successful, but unfortunately there are a few attempts to escape the fast rising flood waters that have been unsuccessful and led to fatalities.

As of today, according to The New York Times, the current death toll due to Hurricane Harvey is at 46.

To get involved, there are various ways to contribute to the fundraising and volunteer efforts to help those effected. To get involved you can visit: https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campmedium=aspot&campname=Harvey

Although the impacts of Harvey will be felt for many years to come, the next potential tropical storm, Irma, is already developing in the Atlantic. Forecasters predict that it will reach the Caribbean within the next few days but any possibilities of reaching the United States are not yet known.

Sources:

http://time.com/4917743/la-vita-bella-nursing-home-dickinson-texas-photo/

/www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/us/harvey-texas-flooding.html?mcubz=0

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/hurricane-harvey-may-leave-behind-health-hazards-water-n796791

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/hurricane-harvey-houston-hit-catastrophic-flooding-n796341