Next Solar Eclipse in 2024!

Katie Soto, Contributing Editor

Another solar eclipse is approaching in just seven years since 2017’s in North America. This time, the path will be traveling northeast, from Mexico to Vermont.  

Many residents in Mexico, New England, Arkansas, Indiana and New York are excited that another solar eclipse will arrive in just a few short years. The peaking of this solar eclipse will last from two to four and a half minutes. People were warned to protect their eyes from 2017’s eclipse and will be warned again. Scientists have told us in the past to use eye protection because the UV rays will damage the eyes and will cause photokeratitis or sunburn of the eye. The symptoms will include red eyes, gritty feeling in the eyes, extreme sensitivity to light and excessive tearing. Therefore,  NASA recommends that people  must wear viewing glasses that have the following criteria:

They must have certification information with a designated ISO 12312-2 international standard, have the manufacturer’s name and address printed somewhere on the product, not be used if they are older than three years or have scratched or wrinkled lenses. NASA also has warned people not to use regular sunglasses as a replacement for the filters, “Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the sun; they transmit thousands of times too much sunlight.”-NASA

Every few years the solar eclipse shadow  travels in  different directions across the globe. Some paths will go east to west, others will overshadow the north completely. Everyone in North America is very excited for this phenomenon to happen again, so much so that they are willing to travel to different areas of the region just to see the eclipse. People should not think that the 2017’s eclipse was a rare occurrence because it will happen again seven years.