Nashoba DECA Members Raise Money for Charity

From left: Carolina Valenti, Elena Barshak, Aly Curran, Matty Johnson, Eli Bachtell, Mr. A, Santa, and Brendan Alyward drop the toys and cards to the Jimmy Fund

Photo courtesy NRHS DECA Twitter

Photo courtesy NRHS DECA Twitter

Photo courtesy NRHS DECA Twitter

Alexandra Bettez, Contributor

Aly Curran and Carolina Valenti, DECA members at Nashoba, raised money for Boston Children’s Hospital for their community service project and recently donated their goods to charity. The girls put together a matball tournament, organized a book drive in many local schools and libraries, and helped to advertise a blood drive to raise money for this celebrated organization.

On Tuesday, December 19th, the girls, along with Eli Bachtell, Matty Johnson, Elena Barshak, Brendan Alyward, and Mr. A delivered over 1,000 books, 400 holiday cards, and a carload of toys to kids at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Boston Children’s Hospital.

Aly and Carolina helped out Eli and Matty with their Advertising Campaign DECA project for Unified Health and Performance, which is a local gym in Lancaster run by Brendan. Eli and Matty organized a toy drive, in which people who donated could participate in a free class at the gym. This resulted in a car full of toys to be delivered to the Jimmy Fund, along with the cards made by Nashoba students. Just a short walk next door, the students delivered all the books to Boston Children’s Hospital, where the books would be distributed to clinics and in a “store” where parents can shop for free for their children in the hospital. Some books will also be distributed directly to children.

Aly Curran reflected on the project:”We decided to do a big community service project and get Nashoba involved. Everyone knows how good Boston Children’s is and we wanted to something nice for the holidays. I’m happy with the turnout, we didn’t think we’d get that many donations!”

The girls plan to give a check to the Dream Dare Deliver Campaign in February, which will go to expansion of the hospital for new technology. If you are interested in helping out, there will be a bake sale at the boy’s basketball game on February 2nd, 2018 in which profits will go to the charity.